In New Jersey there are multiple ways to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order. The Division of Criminal Justice Guidelines direct all police officers to give and explain to the victim the domestic violence notice of rights which advises the victim of the court action that may be available to them.

During regular court hours the victim can apply for a temporary restraining order at the Family Part of the Superior Court. If the victim is unable to obtain transportation to the Superior Court the officer is directed to contact the court directly and ask for a the process to be completed via telephone.

If the court is closed the victim may file the domestic violence complaint withe the police and request a municipal court judge to grant the application.

The judge will review the application and may place the victim under oath and ask them additional questions about the incident. If the judge grants the TRO the officer will be directed to complete the paperwork and serve the defendant with a copy of it.

If you need legal assistance regarding a TRO or FRO hearing in New Jersey contact the Law Office of Matthew B. Lun, Esq. today at 609-964-0900 for a free consultation.